Apartment Scams in Sweden

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
sogb

Apartment Scams in Sweden

Indlæg af sogb » 17.11.2011 16:07:19

Thing is, scams never crossed my mind...

Thank God for google (and my intelligent hubby) I would have never figured it out.

This is how things happened... Found an apartment on blocket.se sent an email and the lady "Helena Lund" who also spelt her name as Helena Lundahl contacted me and said she was in the UK and wanted to rent her apartment out to which I thought great yaay!

We communicated back and forth and asked how it would be done and she said through TNT and she sent a link as well (just a general one) and said she'd send us the keys and we wouldn't have to pay a thing... Sounds fishy, well not for a first timer aka me. I thought awwww what a sweet lady.

Good thing my husband was very hesitant and thought it was the worst idea, yet dumb me kept saying to cut her some slack...

She went on to send another email- a very detailed one of HOW to transfer the money because she would want a deposit which TNT would hold. And as soon as we got the keys and the contract, then TNT would release the funds to her.

Some people are nasty! And she/ he is one of them... I'm not even gonna go into how shocked I was after I found out, however I just want to warn people that these scams do exist *sniff* who woulda thought!

So be careful boys and girls- there are some real bucketheads out there :( oh and i googled apartment scams in Sweden.

This http://yourlivingcity.com/stockholm-gui ... apartment/

is great for tips btw.

Cheerio

Hoppe

Re: Apartment Scams in Sweden

Indlæg af Hoppe » 06.12.2011 10:32:57

the person who do this things are what they call 419 I am sorry to say,it is proberly Nigeriens who do this,the weman as well as men.I am married to an Nigerien for 8 years now,he is the one
who is explaining to me,that many of them do like this,
so all wach up.

fundiver199

Indlæg af fundiver199 » 07.12.2011 08:49:59

Scams like these are quite common in these days, where everything is traded via the internet. I think the main rule is to never send money to someone, unless you have seen the person and/or the item, you are supposed to purchase, or to make private deals via a recogniced save platform like ebay and only there.

There are also stories of people, how have paid maybe 5.000 or 10.000 EUR in "deposit" on a used car, they were supposed to purchase via the internet, and which was supposed to be situated in the port of Amsterdam. Only to find out, that the homepage, name and phone-numbers of the "company" involved were all fake.

A main rule of thump is also: "if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn´t". The used cars advertised in the examples above, were offered significantly below the normal asking price. And of course the critical buyer should ask herself: why?

There is almost never such a thing as a free lunch :wink:

sogb

Indlæg af sogb » 12.12.2011 23:37:09

Hi Hoppe :) and thanks for your feedback :) yes there are many nasty people out there and i too have heard about some Nigerians running these godawful scams, however, i'm not gna generalize ;) he/she could be Asian, Scandinavian, George Bush or Bin Laden (woops they killed him) but you hear me ;)

... and yea, we certainly need to be careful :(

sogb

Indlæg af sogb » 12.12.2011 23:41:52

fundiver199 skrev:Scams like these are quite common in these days, where everything is traded via the internet. I think the main rule is to never send money to someone, unless you have seen the person and/or the item, you are supposed to purchase, or to make private deals via a recogniced save platform like ebay and only there.

There are also stories of people, how have paid maybe 5.000 or 10.000 EUR in "deposit" on a used car, they were supposed to purchase via the internet, and which was supposed to be situated in the port of Amsterdam. Only to find out, that the homepage, name and phone-numbers of the "company" involved were all fake.

A main rule of thump is also: "if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn´t". The used cars advertised in the examples above, were offered significantly below the normal asking price. And of course the critical buyer should ask herself: why?

There is almost never such a thing as a free lunch :wink:

I love it and yes you're right "no such thing as a free lunch" and this is great to know cz I'm ol'school like that and I like regular snail mail as well as seeing a product before i make the purchase, so this was a shocker for me but hey we learn something new everyday.....

Also, thanks cz this was very helpful info on the car stuff and all those scam hungry pieces of poo poo need to rot in hell :(

Besvar