EU residence as a family member to an EU citizen - Denied application but not so clear why

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
sinbad

EU residence as a family member to an EU citizen - Denied application but not so clear why

Indlæg af sinbad » 07.03.2024 17:30:17

Hello,

I hope you are all well!

I am an non-danish EU citizen and my partner is a non-EU citizen. We were living together in another EU country since late 2021 before moving together to Denmark last summer.

She got a working permit so we are lucky that she has grounds for residence anyway, but we wanted to protect ourselves and we applied for EU residence as a family member to an EU citizen so that she would not be worried to lose her job.

We provided all the documents required, and as for co-habitation we provided:
- Registration documents from the swedish and danish authorities showing that we were both registered at the same address since late 2021
- Leases with both our names in Denmark, and registration to the housing association with both our names in Sweden
- Home insurance certificate with both our names and joint address for the entire period in Sweden
- Joint bank account since moving to Denmark
- I think we even added few bills either in her name or my name, showing we were both living at this address

Our application was denied, saying that these documents above were not sufficient to demonstrate that we were actually living together during this entire time and having a "marriage-like" relationship. But they didn't provide any precisions on what more they needed for us to demonstrate that.

We can appeal, and we tried reaching out to them to get more precisions but are still waiting for them to come back to us.

Did any of you face a similar situation, what steps do you think we should take to maximize our chances to win the appeal?

Thanks a lot!

Besvar