Family reunification and disability

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
JenLarsen

Family reunification and disability

Indlæg af JenLarsen » 28.06.2022 15:45:39

Hi! We have not moved to Denmark yet, but are considering doing so.

Some background: My husband is a Danish citizen and we have a child. I am American and fully disabled and receive social security disability benefits. Like all SSD, I can receive them where I live, including abroad. However, we are not sure if me being disabled would count against us for the self-sufficiency guidelines. As for the integration points system, we meet 3 out of the 5. I believe I meet the education criteria, he would meet the employment criteria and he would meet the danish test criteria. I would of course learn Danish as required. I am worried immigration would consider me a burden and deny my request for reunification because of my disability.

Does anyone know how danish reunification views disability?

Jen

mh1
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet/Tyskland
Kontakt:

Re: Family reunification and disability

Indlæg af mh1 » 29.06.2022 16:32:49

Disability is not even something you will have to declare when you apply for family reunification. Read more on:
https://nyidanmark.dk/en-GB/You-want-to ... ng-partner

Besides, bringing your social security disability benefits with you would probably mean that you will not be a financial burden on the Danish system (depending on how generous it is converted to Danish kroner). If you require physiotherapy or other treatment, medicines and/or assistive devices, you will most likely be told that you will not be given them free before you have your residence permit, but firstly, you may apply for the residence permit before you move to DK. Secondly there is practice for giving free examination at the doctors and midwives, as well as free of charge birth in a hospital for pregnant women whose application for family reunification is pending. So I don't see why you should not also have a right to medical aid free of charge if you should happen to need it before the residence permit is in place.

For the future: The general rule is that in order to get permanent residence in about 8 years time and based on that Danish citizenship, you must work. However, "To the extent that Denmark’s international obligations, including the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, require it, the Immigration Service grants exemptions from (that is to say, you will not need to meet) one or more of the requirements for a permanent residence permit."

Read more on
https://nyidanmark.dk/en-GB/Applying/Pe ... 0residence
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

Besvar