Family reunification under EU rules

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
chaulongvt

Family reunification under EU rules

Indlæg af chaulongvt » 01.12.2021 11:43:03

Hi,

I am a Dutch citizen, married, have 2 children, living in Denmark under self-sufficient visa. My husband (Vietnamese) is also living here under family reunification visa. We both have income.

My family situation: My mother is a widow, 67 years old. She has two children and both are living in Denmark. My brother is holding a Danish passport. Since she is living alone in Vietnam, we would really like to have an opportunity to be with and to take care of her, and for her it's also nice to be with us and her grandchildren.

My question: Would it be possible for me to apply family reunification visa for my mum under EU rules? What are the requirements? and how can I process it?

Can you please guide me through?

Thank you so much for being considerate. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Chaulongvt

skaanebo

Re: Family reunification under EU rules

Indlæg af skaanebo » 01.12.2021 11:59:40

I assume your mom is Vietnamese citizen? In that case, you will need to have established co-habitation beforehand (in Vietnam or elsewhere) or an economic or mental dependency on you before you will be able to use EU laws.

chaulongvt

Indlæg af chaulongvt » 08.12.2021 13:43:49

Thanks for your reply. Yes, she is Vietnamese citizen.

Can you please elaborate on how to establish co-habitation or mental dependency on me?

What I have been preparing for the last couple of month is transferring money to my mum with description of "monthly support". I don't know whether it is sufficient enough. It would be well-prepared if I know more details.

Thank you again so much for your guidance.

Best regards,
Chaulongvt

skaanebo

Indlæg af skaanebo » 10.12.2021 12:43:20

Co-habitation means you move to Vietnam (or some other place) to live with your mother and after a period of time (we are probably talking years rather than months) you move together to Denmark as a family unit. This is possible under EU laws if your mother has an economic and/or mental dependency on you. For instance if your mother is a pensioner and relies solely on your financial support.

If you are talking about just transferring money and not moving in with your mother in Vietnam, then it's more tricky as your mother will then have to prove that she has no other income and receives no gifts or pension from any other source. Also, it might be a concern that you have actually lived apart for quite a while, and in this time your mother managed on her own.

So in short there is no easy solution for this.

chaulongvt

Indlæg af chaulongvt » 12.12.2021 10:55:51

thank you so much.

Beraru

Indlæg af Beraru » 23.12.2021 19:59:31

I intervene as well...My/our situation is more or less the same...I am EU citizen with permanent residence in Denmark; wife, she is thai, with soon to be permanent residence(hopefully).
Her boy is 23 years old....

What are the chances he will get EU residence?
He does not have a job in Thailand(yet), received help from us all these years, both living and tuition fees in Thailand.This can be easliy proved with bank transfers.

skaanebo

Indlæg af skaanebo » 24.12.2021 11:38:43

His age is a challenge. Until 21, he could still have moved in with you as a dependent child.

At age 23, the situation is different. You need to look up the EU directive: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content ... M%3Al33152

Besvar