Residence Permit after separation, please help!

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
ucanmanda

Residence Permit after separation, please help!

Indlæg af ucanmanda » 02.09.2020 05:55:25

Hi, me (a NON-EU) and my wife (a Danish Citizen) talking about splitting up. We have been married for 5 years. I have a few questions. If we separate and I move to another address, does my residence permit get revoked? I have a temporary residence permit until 2022. I have been employed full time for 3 and a half years and lived in Denmark for 5 years. I have also passed Prøve i Dansk 3. I will be eligible to apply for a permanent residence permit once I reach 4 years of employment, which is pretty soon. We are not planning to get a divorce but only talking about separating and me moving to another place. So do I have to keep my CPR registered on the same address as my wife's? If I move to another address and register my CPR there, do I get kicked out of the country?

I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me with these questions, it is a very difficult and stressful time, I worked very hard to build a life here in Denmark and I really don't want to be kicked out of the country :(

Thank you in advance
Kind regards

evc

Re: Residence Permit after separation, please help

Indlæg af evc » 02.09.2020 19:57:49

When you divorce Udlændingestyrelsen will be notified. They’ll send you a letter asking if there is a reason for them not to cancel your current permit. Since you speak danish, has had a job for 3 years and been living in Denmark for more than 3 years that is a good thing. You can use that in your favor and argue that is a good reason for you to stay. Another possibility is to apply for a working permit.

ucanmanda

Re: Residence Permit after separation, please help!

Indlæg af ucanmanda » 02.09.2020 20:15:19

Thank you for your response.

We are not planning to get divorced, I'm going to move to another place for now. If I register my CPR at the new address (a different address than where my wife's CPR is registered), does Udlændingestyrelsen still get notified? So what I'm trying to ask is should I move my CPR to the new place or keep it registered where my wife lives, to be safe?

For example, I read in the forum that if you have residence permit through EU-law you can live at a different address than your spouse's as long as you both live in Denmark and your residence permit won't be revoked. Is that the same case if you have residence permit through Danish-law?

Another question is, can I apply for work permit while I have a residence permit that is valid until 2022?

I hope someone could help me with these questions.

iasmynferreira

Indlæg af iasmynferreira » 03.09.2020 09:07:22

As far as I know, you have to keep your address with your wife if you want to keep the same residence permit you have now. In case you do not divorce.
I am in the same situation as you :)

ucanmanda

Indlæg af ucanmanda » 04.09.2020 07:36:39

Thank you for your response @iasmynferreira. It is good to know that is the case, and good luck with your situation!

I wonder if anybody could answer my question about being able to apply for a work permit while I have a residence permit that is valid until 2022?

evc

Indlæg af evc » 04.09.2020 16:55:50

ucanmanda skrev:
02.09.2020 20:15:19
Thank you for your response.

We are not planning to get divorced, I'm going to move to another place for now. If I register my CPR at the new address (a different address than where my wife's CPR is registered), does Udlændingestyrelsen still get notified? So what I'm trying to ask is should I move my CPR to the new place or keep it registered where my wife lives, to be safe?

For example, I read in the forum that if you have residence permit through EU-law you can live at a different address than your spouse's as long as you both live in Denmark and your residence permit won't be revoked. Is that the same case if you have residence permit through Danish-law?

Another question is, can I apply for work permit while I have a residence permit that is valid until 2022?

I hope someone could help me with these questions.
If you have been family reunified under Danish law you must live in the same address. Do not move out.

You can have more than one residence permit at the same time. That is not a problem. If you miss one you still have the other. If you are talking about divorce and it seems to be the way it will end, get yourself a new residence permit.

iasmynferreira

Indlæg af iasmynferreira » 05.09.2020 07:37:50

Hi! Sorry for intruding the chat! But you say that if he has been family reunified under Danish law he must keep the same address what about family reunification under EU-law?

evc

Indlæg af evc » 07.09.2020 20:45:53

iasmynferreira skrev:
05.09.2020 07:37:50
Hi! Sorry for intruding the chat! But you say that if he has been family reunified under Danish law he must keep the same address what about family reunification under EU-law?
That is not a requirement under EU law. You can be married and still live in different addresses.

Jesper&Anna

Indlæg af Jesper&Anna » 09.09.2020 08:14:52

After you got divorce, you will change your visa status.
And like my friend (same case as you), Siri is now to
Decide if she can stay or not.
Case to case basis, how strong you can take care yourself.

ucanmanda

Indlæg af ucanmanda » 10.09.2020 09:37:30

Thank you all for your responses, I have applied for a new residence permit through my work.
Thankfully, my salary is high enough to qualify for the pay limit scheme.

Besvar