Should I call SIRI?

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
Ravani

Should I call SIRI?

Indlæg af Ravani » 08.02.2020 13:32:50

Hi everybody,

I got my residency under EU law three years ago.
I was married for more than 3 years (3 years and 4 months to be exact) and got divorced last June. no kids involved.
I lived in Denmark as a married man for 2,5 years and I have a stable job and income since I graduated from uni in 2018.
I have read that if someone fulfils these three conditions, they have the right to keep living in Denmark and having the same rights as before.
However, I didn't live in the same address as my ex-wife for the last 1,5 years of our marriage because we were in the process of separation and we were figuring out how to do things. So I don't know if that could damage my rights, but I was told that it doesn't really matter where one lives, whether together or not.

However sometime ago I talked to someone and I got to know that I have to call SIRI and let them now that I have been divorced.
When my divorce was official, I got a letter in my eboks saying Familieretshuset will inform the immigration service and therefore I thought things will happen automatically and they will eventually get to know about my situation but apparently not.
I have been divorced for 7-8 months now, and I am worried that it is too late to call them, if I had to call them right away and let them know about my situation? Because I was told that now that I am divorced, I have to apply for an independent residency, and they have to look into my case and see if I fulfil these criteria.

I would like to know what I should do now, should I call them and let them know?
Do I have to and if I don't it will harm my situation?
What is my status now, am I illegal in Denmark?
How does my address and living situation (as I explained above) play a role, if it does?

Thanks in advance

mh1
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet/Tyskland
Kontakt:

Re: Should I call SIRI?

Indlæg af mh1 » 09.02.2020 20:07:19

When you have residence according to EU-rules, you are not required to live together with your spouse, only to both of you live in the same country (here Denmark), so no sweat. That you are now divorced means that you when you apply for your permanent EU-residencecard after your five years in DK, must show that you are and have been supporting yourself during the five years (and not living on welfare.
Since information on your divorce is automatically sent from Familiretshuset to the Immigration Office, you did not need to inform them. You should maybe as a curtesy inform them about your new but most likely they will be getting it from the Folkeregister anyway. Still: No need to worry.
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

takilegend

Indlæg af takilegend » 11.02.2020 15:45:14

Hello, is it possible to ask questions here

takilegend

Indlæg af takilegend » 11.02.2020 15:47:27

I have this situation where in, my and my danish bf is planning to get married this year. However, we need to have 4 points for the reunification before we could actually register for familirethuset. My only thing is my aupair visa will expires this August 2020. Do we need to apply to get marrried and still comply for the requirement for reunification or we need to wait until august. I really need a good advice for this. Thanks

Besvar