Health insurance policy duration, Sweden.

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
bsoren

Health insurance policy duration, Sweden.

Indlæg af bsoren » 14.09.2019 14:33:41

Hello all,

Given that the non-EU citizens ought to provide a comprehensive health insurance policy with their residence permit application in Sweden, I was wondering if anyone knows what should be the duration of the insurance policy if the person applying for the residence card / permit intends to take up residence (permanently) in Sweden?

In the Migrationsverket website says one has to show the insurance policy for the entire duration of his/her stay.
A) What if the intended duration of stay is permanently?
B) Can the given insurance policy be renewed on a monthly basis? or does it need to be a f.eks a one year plan or more at once?
C) Any suggestion for a good provider?

According to the website, as of today the application processing time is max 14 months but it changes. So I'd appreciate if someone could guide me for this, as its not that cheap to go for the largest and longest plan to be safe.

Thank you and best regards.

skaanebo

Re: Health insurance policy duration, Sweden.

Indlæg af skaanebo » 14.09.2019 20:42:21

cigna Silver is the answer to your question if health insurance is required (only if you don’t work in Sweden).

There are already several threads on this topic so please use the search function.
Senest rettet af skaanebo 15.09.2019 06:46:12, rettet i alt 1 gang.

bsoren

Indlæg af bsoren » 14.09.2019 21:53:57

I just saw in one thread that you wrote if the Danish spouse who works in DK gets the blue card from Udbetaling DK and the other none-EU spouse doesn't work in Sweden, he/she will also be covered under the Danish public health insurance? Will that be enough to present to the Migrationsverket?

Tried Cigna but they flat out reject my inquiry due to my Iranian nationality, US sanctions n stuff... :-/ But if that Blue card public insurance works for us since I dont work here yet, that would be it.

Otherwise I searched other threads but I come across anything on the acceptable duration of the insurance policy if one needs to go with the private insurance. In that how long should be the plan that I buy in order to be acceptable for the Migrationsverket? 6 months, 1 year, more? Could it just be renewable..?

skaanebo

Indlæg af skaanebo » 15.09.2019 06:44:50

You have dual Danish-Iranian citizenship?

Cigna is the only insurance company I have heard the Swedish authorities will accept.

Mind you, as a Dane you don’t need any insurance. It is only required for your spouse, and only if he/she doesn’t work in Sweden.

Migrationsverket changes it policies all the time. I’m not sure the blue card is accepted anymore.

So to get around this issue it might be a good idea for your spouse to quickly find a job in Sweden.

There is no actual need for any insurance since you will be covered by the public health insurance once you have been listed in the people’s registry. So it’s just a matter of showing proof of having the insurance and once the residence card have been issued, you can cancel the insurance.

bsoren

Indlæg af bsoren » 15.09.2019 09:24:18

skaanebo skrev:
15.09.2019 06:44:50
You have dual Danish-Iranian citizenship?
Oh this is the husband (Iranian) who is writing here. Wife and kid are Danish nationals, she works/studies in DK. They just got registered with Skatteverket a couple of days ago and received their Swedish Personnummers. She is going to apply for her særligt sundhedskort in the coming week.

Cigna flat out rejected me as an Iranian, so thats that. I saw in the forum that somebody suggested this travel insurance (https://www.erv.se/en/leisure/vara-rese ... insurance/) I wasn't sure travel insurance would work!?

We are going to apply for the residence card as per your suggestion during the coming week and then will apply for Swedish residence permit. Only thing left is to acquire an acceptable health insurance.

skaanebo

Indlæg af skaanebo » 15.09.2019 14:29:45

Migrationsverket might have a list of accepted insurances. You can ask them.

Alternatively if you already work in Sweden, you will be covered by the public health insurance.

bsoren

Indlæg af bsoren » 16.09.2019 00:06:21

I have been reading through a lot of "insurance related" threads and what I understood is that the (none working) family member of a border-crossing Dane is insured by the Danish public insurance system, hence the possibility to sign up for the EU Blue Card. BUT still the Skatteverket / Migrationsverket in Sweden do not accept that insurance as the comprehensive policy that they deem necessary.

I've been thinking IF the transitive Danish health insurance (blue card) actually works for the none-Eu spouse in terms of getting medical help in Sweden, then we don't really need to use the private insurer's policy to actually receive medic help, but only useful to provide it for SV and MV. Therefore, we could just enrol on a private insurance plan with Max deductibles and OOP in order to lower the premium as much as possible and make it cheaper. Voiala!

So the Question is: Does the Danish blue card really works for the none-EU spouse to actually get medical treatment in Sweden if the need arises? In order to avoid actually using the private insurance policy.

@Skaanebo thanks for the guidances so far.

skaanebo

Indlæg af skaanebo » 16.09.2019 07:14:51

1. Migrationsverket will only accept certain insurances that meet its criteria. So check with Migrationsverket before you buy one.

2. The Blue card is only valid for the person whose name is on the card. If you live in Sweden and work in Denmark, and your spouse isn’t working in Sweden, you and your spouse can each obtain a yellow sundhedskort for those crossing the border for work. The yellow card provides free health services for the bearer in Denmark. It cannot be used as documentation to Migrationsverket, though.

As far as I know the blue card can only be issued to EU citizens, so it will not work as documentation to Migrationsverket that the spouse is insured.

bsoren

Indlæg af bsoren » 16.09.2019 12:42:51

UPDATE:
- I just called the Udbetalings DK regarding my (non-EU) right to the EU Blue Card through my Danish wife. They said my wife (cross-border) has to apply, be approved and receive her Special Health Card (særlig sundhedskort) first and then in the approval letter, there will be instructions on how to apply for EU blue card for family members. And said that I am entitled to the blue health card, not the yellow card.
The lady also said that the EU blue card is not a replacement for health insurance for me in Sweden where we are living. It can be used in to cover emergency cases though.

- Called the Försakringskassan in Sweden. They lady said that as soon as Skatteverket approves my application and gives me a Swedish personnummer ( and ID card), I will be able to apply with them (fill form 5456) and then use the Swedish healthcare system like a normal SE resident.

So, my take is that; given the fact that by providing adequate documents to the SV, one can possibly receive his/her Swedish personnummer within a couple of months, then the comprehensive private health insurance policy for the SV could be purchased with a higher risk factor and therefore cheaper (w/ Higher deductibles and OOP).

skaanebo

Indlæg af skaanebo » 16.09.2019 12:57:31

Migrationsverket will still not accept the blue card and you will still need to sign up for a private health insurance as long as you are not working in Sweden. And the health insurance need to be on the approved list from Migrationsverket.

If you as the Iranian husband begin to work in Sweden, you will be covered by the public Swedish health insurance and will not need to have private insurance.

bsoren

Indlæg af bsoren » 20.09.2019 14:43:37

Hey Skaanebo,

I totally understand that. Do you happen to have information about if the SV or MV are picky about the amount voluntary excess (Selvrisiko) on the insurance plan? I could find one insurer that is willing to insure Iranians but its way expensive. But I have the option to increase the Selvrisiko up to 15.000 EUR on the plan and pay only 51% of the premium price.
I am not sure if this very high selvrisiko could be a problem...

tnx.

skaanebo

Indlæg af skaanebo » 20.09.2019 19:14:24

The authorities don't care about the amount you have to pay yourself from any insurance claims.

bsoren

Indlæg af bsoren » 20.09.2019 21:11:41

Funny, the insurance rep told me over the phone today that they know of the Swedish MV and that they rejected a healthcare plan of a customer of his because the plan did not cover the Psychiatric treatments. So he asked me to choose a more expensive plan that included the Mental illness' too. I don't know if it was sales pitch or for real. Its really stressful and confusing!

skaanebo

Indlæg af skaanebo » 21.09.2019 07:05:37

Yes, there are a lot of requirements, basically it needs to be “unlimited” coverage. But you shouod ask Migrationsverket for their approved list of insurance schemes BEFORE you sign up.

bsoren

Indlæg af bsoren » 22.09.2019 14:44:03

I tried several times to contact the MV, forget about the phone as it is ALWAYS busy and system hangs up. I sent them a few emails with questions but they never answered them correctly or even relevant at all. Last time that I asked about health insurance for EU residence card applicants, the lady replied with explaining how a Travel Health Insurance meets the requirement of the Swedish Embassies!

I decided to start with a medium coverage plan which Fully covers the required in-patient/out-patient/emergency occasions and will upgrade it later if the MV asked me to do so.

I just hope that they don't reject the application because of the health insurance coverage and ask me to upgrade the insurance plan (if its necessary) and get back to them :-)

Besvar