About proposed changes on welfare for foreigners

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
outoforbit
Geografisk sted: Aarhus, Danmark

About proposed changes on welfare for foreigners

Indlæg af outoforbit » 11.04.2011 22:13:01

Hey, I just read this at CPH post :
http://www.cphpost.dk/news/internationa ... ?task=view

Just want to make clear, changes of that sort cannot affect foreigners under EU-rules? Correct?

Let me know.. thanks!

mh1
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet/Tyskland
Kontakt:

Re: About proposed changes on welfare for foreigners

Indlæg af mh1 » 12.04.2011 05:47:12

Well, the intention is to target ALL foreigners. At least some changes would not be in violation of EU rules, as for example that a foreigner would have to have lived legally in DK 45 years before qualifying for full pension. If a EU citizen has lived until (s)he is say 45 years of age in another country and gained partial pension rights from that country, (s)he will gain partial pension right from DK too, as the rule is now. To extend the earning period when the pension age is also postponed is not against EU rules.
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

fundiver199

Re: About proposed changes on welfare for foreigners

Indlæg af fundiver199 » 12.04.2011 06:45:59

Also the government seems to be willing to "challenge" the EU-law. I.e. have laws approved in parliament, which will then in all likelyhood later be declared illegal by the EU-court and need to be rolled back.

However that is a proces, which takes several years and also requere, that someone take action and either process a case in the danish court system or file a complaint to the EU-commission.

And while this is ongoing, the illegal law will still be in effect. Afterwards however, people who have been "cheated", will be entitled to financial compensation.

Folketinget has already approved one such law about "optjening", which also includes EU-citizens, and which is in all likelyhood illegal, since it punishes movements over borders in EU - the law about "optjening" of the right to "børnecheck".

This law however will not take effect until 1. january 2012.

Besvar