Proof of no previous marriage

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
Jennyinbc

Proof of no previous marriage

Indlæg af Jennyinbc » 21.09.2023 13:36:23

Hi all!
My Danish fiancé and I recently got engaged, and we're looking to get the permission to marry from Familieretshuset. As a Canadian, I can only get a certificate from my current province of residence saying that I haven't been married there, but the sample I saw clearly says on it that it's only valid for my province and each province maintains its own records. So...in theory I could have been married anywhere else in Canada, or even any other country; I've lived in several. To me this is pretty pathetic proof of me not being married! But is it enough?

I can also write and sign an affidavit in front of a notary swearing that I'm not already married. Should I do that too? Instead?

Canada's federal government will only issue a statement saying that they don't issue such a certificate.

Any advice or previous experience would be appreciated! Thanks!

mhg

Re: Proof of no previous marriage

Indlæg af mhg » 22.09.2023 12:59:12

"If you are planning to married outside of Canada,, you should check with the embassy or consulate of the country in which you are getting marriedof their home country to find out if an affidavit of single status is required. You should also check with the Canadian embassy or consulate in that country to find out their specific requirements."

So ask the Danish embassy what you should get/do. My guess is that an affidavit of single status is required/sufficient.
mhg
Juniorrådgiver for ÆUG

Jennyinbc

Indlæg af Jennyinbc » 24.09.2023 20:02:44

Thanks mhg! I'll do that.

gambler

Indlæg af gambler » 24.09.2023 23:04:07

think we had simular case, but not canda

Cambodia (they also not make any proof) so i mail to :

danish embassay in Bangkok, Thailand (because there is no embassy or consulate in cambodia)

i got the answer :

go to puplicus notarius, sign an stamp, then to sweden embassy for a stamp, an then stamp an danish embassy in thailand

on advice of sweden embassy should be one specifik notar (but we allready choose the right one)

lots of paper work, an time, an fees, but succes

as mhg says, should be good chance that danish embassy knows how to do, we had a very nice mail from an officer as answer

good luck ;-)

Besvar