Moving from England with Irish Passport

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
Hanners

Moving from England with Irish Passport

Indlæg af Hanners » 11.07.2023 07:29:38

Hi please could somebody help us understand where to start.
My wife is Danish and we have been married for 25 years.
She came to England 26 years ago from Denmark under freedom of movement (the good old days) and I hold an Irish passport.
We have 2 adult children (Danish Citizens).
We want to move to Denmark and buy a home. I own a business in the UK and will continue to travel. She will work in Denmark and start a business.

Our questions

Which is the best route for us to apply for me to be able to reside in Denmark?
Do I qualify as EU citizen? We only resided in England NOT in Ireland.
Has she resided in an EU country or is the UK now regarded a third country (for the time she was here).
Can we buy a home in Denmark straightaway?
Will I be able to travel for work whilst an application for reunification is underway?

Thank you so much

mhg

Re: Moving from England with Irish Passport

Indlæg af mhg » 11.07.2023 10:06:26

Your wife is still Danish citizen, I suppose?
She has not applied for UK-citizenship before 2015?
An you are an Irish, and thereby EU-citizen?

If you can answer yes-no-yes, you may move almost as freely as if you moved from one county in UK to another. Also buy a home for yourselves.

?Which is the best route for us to apply for me to be able to reside in Denmark?
You do not need to apply, you just need to register.

?Do I qualify as EU citizen? We only resided in England NOT in Ireland.
It is your citizenship, NOT your residence that decides whether you are an EU-citizen.

?Has she resided in an EU country or is the UK now regarded a third country (for the time she was here).
The time she resided while UK was in the EU counts as EU-residence, but it is not relevant.

?Can we buy a home in Denmark straightaway?
Yes.

?Will I be able to travel for work whilst an application for reunification is underway?
You do not need to apply for family reunification.

Read this:
https://nyidanmark.dk/en-GB/Applying/Re ... %20support
mhg
Juniorrådgiver for ÆUG

Hanners

Indlæg af Hanners » 11.07.2023 19:49:26

ah ok this is interesting. your assumptions are right, she is still Danish citizen, does not have UK citizenship (just settled status that allows her to live there after Brexit) and I am an Irish Citizen.

So if I understand correctly, we can just move and when the time is right i can apply for permanent residency in Denmark. No need to apply for anything else...just register with Borger service etc.

Thank you

mhg

Indlæg af mhg » 12.07.2023 11:11:33

Just one thing: Your adult children are how old, and have they applied to retain their Danish citizenship before they turned 22, if they are that old?

Otherwise they should do it, if they are 20-21 years old. You may want to check the Facebook-page 'Dobbelt statsborgerskab' for more info on why and how.
mhg
Juniorrådgiver for ÆUG

Hanners

Indlæg af Hanners » 23.07.2023 20:16:04

Our eldest has already done this and is all ok. The other will start their extended stay in Denmark in September! Thank you so much 🙏

Besvar