Query about spousal information in citizenship form

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
abrakadbabra

Query about spousal information in citizenship form

Indlæg af abrakadbabra » 20.02.2018 19:24:05

Hi Expert,

Finally, I have completed my 9 years in Denmark and am totally eligible to apply for my Danish Citizenship. I have started to fill the online form for citizenship and have some confusion about the page where I have to fill up the information about my marital status.

My wife (x) had deserted me around 8 years ago and also took my child back to the home country. It has been around 8 years we have been living separately but I do not have any separation document to prove it. Infact, we have not even spoken at all by any means in all these years. So I want to select the option "Separated" in the form. But when I select that option it asks to upload document for change in autoloaded information.

If I accept the autoloaded information which selects "married" automatically, then t also fills up my wife's is address of home country. I would like to know :

1) If I have to accept the autoloaded information then please tell me what is the purpose of asking wife's address? Do immigration authorities contact the spouse?
2) What kind of document is needed to show that I am have been living separately from my wife for so many years. Can I get an affidavit from the Danish court where I can get attested that I have been living separately from my wife for 8 years. Will that do?
3) My current passport was renewed around 5 years ago and in that I am mentioned as married, if I can select "separated" option in the citizenship form, will the passport information be noticed and considered contradictory?

Experts, your guidance will be highly appreciated.
Regards
abrakadbabra

DortheM

Re: Query about spousal information in citizenship form

Indlæg af DortheM » 20.02.2018 21:05:10

As long as you and your wife have not officially separated or divorced, you are considered married according to Danish law.

You can apply for a divorce right away, when you have been living separete for more than two years due to difference of opinion. See http://www.statsforvaltningen.dk/site.aspx?p=8648

abrakadbabra

Indlæg af abrakadbabra » 21.02.2018 09:34:13

Hi DortheM,

Thanks for your answer.

Actually, I have an order from a court in my home country in which it is clearly mentioned that we both have been living separately for last several years. Its not a specific certificate for separation which is a preliminary part of divorce proceeding as in Denmark. But it is still a court order which also proves that we had problems and differences. It was about a domestic violence case which my x-wife had filed on me in home country and I had won that case. Its the final order of that.

do you think that will help.

Regards

DortheM

Indlæg af DortheM » 21.02.2018 13:29:45

I think you can use it when filing for a "Direkte Skilmisse" in Denmark.

mh
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet/Tyskland
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh » 21.02.2018 16:59:07

As DortheM writes, you cannot choose 'separated' when you are not officially separated.

It is sufficient proof of having lived separately for more than two years that your wife clearly does not have a residence nor a residence permit in DK, while you have both.

If you add the court order, I have no doubt that you will be able to divorce in DK without any trouble.

You can apply for the divorce and get it, before you apply for citizenship.

However, whether you are married or not will not have any impact on your application for citizenship.

The only situation where the information about separation is relevant is if the applicant is married but not co-habiting with a Danish spouse. The residence time required is less for an applicant with a healthy marriage to a Danish citizen.
mh

abrakadbabra

Indlæg af abrakadbabra » 21.02.2018 18:42:14

Hi mh,

thank you so much for taking out time to reply.

my last quick question. do authorities verify or contact spouse? since they require ask for address.

Regards

mh
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet/Tyskland
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh » 22.02.2018 17:04:04

I don't think they do - the address is required as proof that you do not live together. The authorities can check and see that your (not yet ex)wife does not have any residence permit nor any legit address in DK, and I should think that would be enough for them.
mh

abrakadbabra

Indlæg af abrakadbabra » 23.02.2018 08:44:41

Thank you, mh.

God bless you. Really .!

Besvar