Pregnant American married to a Dane in CPH: how do we get our baby dual citizenship?

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
Emily og Jacob

Pregnant American married to a Dane in CPH: how do we get our baby dual citizenship?

Indlæg af Emily og Jacob » 16.08.2017 20:59:41

Hi!

I am American, living in Copenhagen and married to a Dane (we married in Februrary, just after we found out I was pregnant, and applied for Family Reunification...I am FINALLY going to get my CPR number in the next few weeks. Hurray!)

I am due to give birth in 4 weeks, and we are looking ahead to suss out the procedure for getting our baby dual citizenship. As the father of the child is Danish, I assume that when it is born it will automatically be Danish? That means it will be issued a Danish birth certificate and all relevant nationality information? Or...?

THEN, I want to get the baby American citizenship! I read online I have to pursue this Consular Report of Birth Abroad thing, and THEN apply for a passport. The former requires bringing in the child's Danish birth certificate (will we have one for the child automatically?) as well as our marriage certificate, our passports, and proof of MY residence in the US -- which I believe can be a college transcript and/or a tax return, for example?

What else do I need to do? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

mh1
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet/Tyskland
Kontakt:

Re: Pregnant American married to a Dane in CPH: how do we get our baby dual citizenship?

Indlæg af mh1 » 17.08.2017 12:53:16

You do not 'get' your baby dual citizenship, it has automatically both from birth.

The Danish comes automatically, for the US-citizenship you have to do some legwork.

First of all check out the website of the US Embassy in Denmark, you may find what information you need there. https://dk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/birth/
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

Besvar