American wife/ Danish husband

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
agutierrez93

American wife/ Danish husband

Indlæg af agutierrez93 » 26.07.2017 07:16:23

Hej alle sammen,

I am new to this forum. :D I thought it could be a good idea to join, as my soon-to-be husband and I plan to apply for family reunification in September, immediately following our wedding. Is there anyone who has experience with the process, who can tell us how our case looks?

I am a 24 year old from the USA. I met my fiancé (25 years old, Danish) 4 years ago, while I was backpacking Europe. We maintained a long distance relationship (with 2-3 visits total per year, and daily online communication) until June 2016, when I moved to Denmark with an au pair residence permit. While working here as an au pair I have seen my fiancé every day, and we were engaged in February 2017. I have also studied Danish up to Modul 5 level (hopefully taking the Prøve i Dansk 3 exam in November). We believe that we fulfill all the requirements as listed on the nyidanmark website, but we worry about a few things:

Our financial status- my fiancé is a masters student who works part time, and receives SU payments. I am trained as a nurse (Bachelors degree from my university in New York) but of course will not be employable for a while after applying for family reunification. Will this be frowned upon in our application? Perhaps the ability of my husband to support me will come into question?

Our housing- We have accepted a room in a kollegium (32 sq meters with own entrance, bathroom,
And kitchen- only the two of us will be living there) and we have heard mixed responses regarding this, when calling Immigration. These range from "Yes you will be fine" to "the person reading the application will have to make a judgement call on that", "it might not fulfill the requirements because it is dependent on your husband being a student" etc. He will be in his masters program for 2 more years. We are at a loss- of course we want to fulfill all the requirements, but are we doing that or not?

Lastly, Is it looked upon favorably for us to include pictures/proof of our relationship, Sprogskole certificates etc. with the initial application? Or should we wait and see if Immigration makes a formal request for that information later on?

Thanks for reading. Kind regards
-A

Sam_123

Re: American wife/ Danish husband

Indlæg af Sam_123 » 26.07.2017 12:06:32

Hello.
My wife is american and I am danish. We applied for Family reunification back in nov 2016 and received a letter of approval 21st june 2017.

1)I am a master student aswell. They don't care so much about the income of the danish citizen, as long as he has not received any Kontanthjælp etc past 3 years i believe. So if he hasn't done that you shouldn't worry about that.

2) That i don't know as i just rented a room in my prents apartment (where we had our own entrance)

3) We just wrote in the application how we met and how we stayed in touch. No pic or proof was attached.

Sam_123

Indlæg af Sam_123 » 26.07.2017 12:08:18

We also had a long distance relationship just like you for 3 years. I had been to US, and then she visited me in Denmark. That should also not be any issue.

fundiver199

Indlæg af fundiver199 » 26.07.2017 12:22:20

As for the housing requirement it should be ok, if your spouse will remain a student for at least 18 more month at the time of application.

Bhen657

Indlæg af Bhen657 » 09.07.2018 12:47:22

Hi Sam-123 I was wondering if you could answer a question about your housing. My girlfriend and I are looking to apply very soon and her parents have offered us to rent the downstairs portion of their house. It has a separate entrance but does not have a separate address number. We have our own bathroom but share a kitchen. I saw that you posted about renting a room in your parents apartment, did it have a separate nunber? and did you have to provide any special information. Also did you need to provide a rental contract. Thanks BEN

evc

Indlæg af evc » 10.07.2018 09:48:04

I would not risk
Bhen657 skrev:
09.07.2018 12:47:22
Hi Sam-123 I was wondering if you could answer a question about your housing. My girlfriend and I are looking to apply very soon and her parents have offered us to rent the downstairs portion of their house. It has a separate entrance but does not have a separate address number. We have our own bathroom but share a kitchen. I saw that you posted about renting a room in your parents apartment, did it have a separate nunber? and did you have to provide any special information. Also did you need to provide a rental contract. Thanks BEN
I would not risk that. Unless you can prove the place you are renting from her parents is a separate residence, I would not recommend it.

Since 2017 a lot of things have changed and although Sam might have succeeded, you may not. Renting with family is always shady business and the US is sceptical about this practice. You might end up wasting your time and money with that application. I highly recommend finding an independent place to be.

You and your girlfriend can try asking her parents for help, they might know someone who knows someone who has a place you can rent. Give priority to small cities and suburbs. It is always cheaper and easier to rent in these places.

And lastly, do not forget to check the guetto list. You cannot rent apartments in these regions because you will be automatically rejected.

Besvar