Permanent Residence under Supplementary Requirements

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
lboscan

Permanent Residence under Supplementary Requirements

Indlæg af lboscan » 15.06.2017 19:05:26

Dear all,

I write to you in order to hear your thoughts and comments in relation to my case. Any insights are more than welcome.

A long story made short: I came to this country to do my PhD approximately 5 years ago. Please note that most PhDs are considered full-time employees who obtain a salary. Therefore, they are NOT considered students but employees under a FULL TIME regular contract.

At the time, I came with my wife and (1st) daughter who was 2 years old and 10 months. My daughter has gone to børnehave, børnehaveklasse and will conclude her 1.klasse next week. She is fully fluent in Danish but was born in our home country.

In 2014, we had another (2nd) daughter who was born in Denmark but, of course, does not have the right to have a Danish passport. My wife is pregnant again, which means we are expecting our 3rd child. This means we are a family who has lawfully lived in Denmark together ever since we arrived, but all of us have the same non-EU nationality. For stability reasons, we would like to stay here to work and contribute to this country!

Fortunately, I do meet all the supplementary requirements and am ready to apply for permanent residence as soon as possible. I have worked full-time, non-stop ever since I arrived here and I continue to work here.

The questions: So far, so good. Everything seems to work out for me. But how does this affect my family? What can they obtain after I obtain a Permanent Residence permit?

I called Udlændigestyrelsen today, and they said the following:

1) I can apply for permanent residence for my 2 daughters straight away when I do it for myself. My guess is that they both would have it quite easy as they are both under 15 and have always lived here or most of the time, for that matter. More specifically, my oldest daughter will be 8 years old next December but she has lived most of her life here. I guess that they would both satisfy the consideration about "potential for succesful integration"

2) That the earliest I can apply for my wife is within 3 years after having obtained Permanent Residence but not before. Does this mean I have to go through all the ordeal of family reunification requirements for her? Does this mean she will have neither the "mhp varigt ophold" nor the "mmf varigt ophold" written on her residence card? Does this mean she gets NOTHING from being married to a permanent resident?

Any comments are welcome!

mh1
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet/Tyskland
Kontakt:

Re: Permanent Residence under Supplementary Requirements

Indlæg af mh1 » 15.06.2017 20:40:28

https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_ ... embers.htm

"Duration

Your accompanying family members will normally be granted a residence permit with the same duration as yours, but for a maximum of four years, and after eight years for five years at a time, :!: if you have been granted a permanent residence permit. :!:

If you have been granted a residence permit for job seeking after your job contract has expired, your accompanying family members will be given a residence permit valid for the duration of the job seeking period. This also applies to children who turn 18 during this period.

If your residence permit is extended, your accompanying family members' permit will be extended by the same period of time, provided that you and your family members are still living together at the same address.

Children who were granted a residence permit before turning 18 can have their permit extended beyond the age of 18, provided that they are still living at home with you.

Please note that it is a condition that your passport is valid for at least three months beyond the duration of your residence permit.

Please note: Even infants, including children born in Denmark, must hold a valid passport."
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

lboscan

Indlæg af lboscan » 16.06.2017 10:15:14

mh, thanks for your quick reply.

As far as I can see, to obtain this permit for them, I would have to apply for it.

I assume it is as an accompanying family member of a person who works in Denmark, but this does not mean they themselves obtain permanent residence, does it?

Thanks again!

mh1
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh1 » 16.06.2017 20:26:28

No, to obtain permanent residence a person must normally, among other things, fulfil an employment requirement and exams in Danish language etc. Only old-age pensioners and a few other groups are exempt.

https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_ ... permit.htm
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

lboscan

Indlæg af lboscan » 20.06.2017 11:19:17

Hi again, thanks for taking the time to reply. In particular, thanks to mh.

After several days looking into this issue, I realize that the actual questions I have are:

1) What is the kind of residence permit that my wife would be granted if I obtain permanent residence?

2) Put differently: would she be able to be exempted from tuition fees if she wants to study?

3) Would she obtain the infamous "med henblik på" (mhp.) eller "med mulighed for" (mmf.) varigt ophold i Danmark" written on her residence card?

Recall that I plan to apply for permanent residence on the grounds of work, which apparently has a different treatment than other applications. I say this because the application fee is considerably higher than for other cases. See here https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_ ... d-fees.htm

I have read your answers to similar questions. For example, here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4846&p=103292&hilit ... ld#p103271

Everywhere I read, I can find absolutely no clarity regarding what kind of permission would be granted for my wife. If there is a document I could read that treats this topic, I will be grateful. Dansk er også OK :D

Thanks!

mh1
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh1 » 22.06.2017 06:05:45

When a residence permit is granted on basis of a family connection to a permanent resident in DK it will be "med henblik på" (mhp.) eller "med mulighed for" (mmf.) varigt ophold i Danmark".
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

lboscan

Indlæg af lboscan » 22.06.2017 16:43:37

Once again thanks. But I assume this is the case under family reunification, meaning that she can obtain this only after 3 years of my Permanent Residence is approved. Correct?

It says here: viewtopic.php?t=17375 that if it is under work, the kind of work has to be part of the Positive List. In my case, I am a researcher and - as far as I know - I am not part of the positive list.

If only she could get a free education in this country!

mh1
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh1 » 22.06.2017 21:37:02

Probably, but follow the developments in the rules - they change frequently and every time to something more strict.

As far as I know, when your wife once has a residence permit "med henblik på" (mhp.) eller "med mulighed for" (mmf.) varigt ophold i Danmark", she qualifies for exemption from the tuition fee.
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

lboscan

Indlæg af lboscan » 23.06.2017 15:00:47

I think I may have found the answer. I am no lawyer, I am no expert at all in this matters. This is why I may be wrong.

But (after reading in detail), my "hunch" is that an accompanying family member of a worker with permanent residence in Denmark can (and should) be issued a residence permit "med mulighed for varigt ophold".

The following comes from here: https://www.retsinformation.dk/Forms/R0 ... ?id=180093:

I have my residence permit because of this:

§ 9 a. Der kan gives opholdstilladelse til en udlænding på grundlag af beskæftigelse eller selvstændig erhvervsvirksomhed, jf. stk. 2.

Stk. 2. Der kan efter ansøgning gives opholdstilladelse til en udlænding,

4) der har indgået aftale eller fået tilbud om ansættelse som forsker på et universitet eller i en virksomhed i Danmark,

My accompanying family members have a residence permit because of this:

§ 9 m. Der kan, hvis væsentlige erhvervs- eller beskæftigelsesmæssige hensyn taler derfor, efter ansøgning gives opholdstilladelse til en udlænding, som har familiemæssig tilknytning til en udlænding med tidsbegrænset eller tidsubegrænset opholdstilladelse efter § 9 a, stk. 2, nr. 1-13, eller stk. 11.

I can have a permanent residence permit because of § 11, Stk.3, 1). Moreover, my family should be able to have "med mulighed for varigt ophold" because of § 11, Stk.2

Here are the details:

§ 11. Opholdstilladelse efter §§ 7-9 f, 9 i-9 n eller 9 p meddeles med mulighed for varigt ophold eller med henblik på midlertidigt ophold her i landet. Opholdstilladelsen kan tidsbegrænses.

Stk. 2. En tidsbegrænset opholdstilladelse meddelt med mulighed for varigt ophold forlænges efter ansøgning, medmindre der er grundlag for at inddrage opholdstilladelsen efter § 19.

Stk. 3. Medmindre der er grundlag for at inddrage opholdstilladelsen efter § 19, kan der efter ansøgning meddeles tidsubegrænset opholdstilladelse til en udlænding over 18 år, hvis:

1) Udlændingen har lovligt boet her i landet, jf. dog stk. 7, i mindst 6 år, jf. dog stk. 5 og 6,og i hele denne periode haft opholdstilladelse efter §§ 7-9 f, 9 i-9 n eller 9 p. Hvis opholdstilladelsen er meddelt efter § 9, stk. 1, nr. 1, eller § 9 c, stk. 1, 1. pkt., på baggrund af ægteskab eller fast samlivsforhold, anses betingelsen i 1. pkt. kun for opfyldt, hvis opholdstilladelsen er meddelt på grundlag af samme ægteskab eller samlivsforhold.

Of course, I am omitting a number of details here. In particular, regarding the supplementary conditions, etc.

Conclusion: no family reunification for us! tuition fee should be free for my wife!

... I just hope my non-expert conclusion is correct

mh1
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh1 » 23.06.2017 20:39:13

I think you are right. But be prepared for a university that might think different, so keep the info you found ready for when she applies.
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

Besvar