Visa advice for couple that wants to close the distance

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
prisma

Visa advice for couple that wants to close the distance

Indlæg af prisma » 27.10.2016 23:23:20

Hello, people of Ægteskab Uden Grænser! This is kind of urgent: I'm going to travel to Denmark next year (very soon) and I'm planning to stay more than 90 days, so I need a visa.

A little bit of context: My partner is Danish and I'm Venezuelan, but we're not eligible for the Family Reunification visa type, not yet, at least (until 2018). I think we aren't due the 24 year rule. I assume that a work visa would be my best option right now. We want to close the distance as soon as possible.

My questions are:

1. Is there any special circumstances I'm ignoring about the Family Reunification visa?
If I get a job that's not on the Positive List, as a waitress/babysitter (not au pair)/private language teacher, is it possible to get a visa for work?
(I could work as a babysitter, but I don't know if it grants me a work permit/working visa)

2. Which options do I have to get a job besides that? I'm bilingual and I have a Bachelor's degree in Journalism. I need a job that guarantees a work type visa.

Any website to search for legit jobs would help too. Thanks again.

3. What about scholarships? Like I said, I already have a Bachelor's degree, but I could study there if that helps. How much do I need to pay in that case, and how high are my chances to do it?

I can even consider alternatives like staying 90 days and coming back after a while.
Another question: How many days would I have to stay out of Denmark to be allowed to enter the country again as a tourist the same year? (I could do that until I qualify for Family Reunification)

Many thanks! I seriously need help with this. Love is my only reason to move there ASAP.

skaanebo

Re: Visa advice for couple that wants to close the distance

Indlæg af skaanebo » 28.10.2016 10:10:25

1. No. Only highly skilled and sought after professions qualify. Not simple and unskilled work.

2. You might be able to work as a journalist or correspondent in Denmark for a news outlet in your home country. There are some special regulations for foreign journalists who are based in Denmark for their employers in their home country.

3. If you wish to continue your studies you have to look up the various offers for education at the various universities. In Denmark journalism masters are offered by RUC and SDU. But courses might be offered only in Danish.

If you arrive to Denmark on a 90 day visa, you have to leave Denmark for another 90 days before you can return and continue on a new 90 days visa.

prisma

Indlæg af prisma » 28.10.2016 16:53:49

Important note: I cannot take my partner to Venezuela due the humanitarian crisis and the danger we're exposed to there. In fact, I'm in the process of getting a visa in CO and won't return to my home country for safety reasons, so taking him here with me is not an option (he's studying as well).

Is there another scholarship I could get besides Journalism related ones? English Literature or something similar?

govindudu

Indlæg af govindudu » 28.10.2016 18:37:27

Well you should look into university websites and contact related program coordinator, if there any scholorship options they mention it in departmental page.

prisma

Indlæg af prisma » 28.10.2016 21:52:34

govindudu skrev:Well you should look into university websites and contact related program coordinator, if there any scholorship options they mention it in departmental page.
That actually sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna try that, if it's the only option I have for now.

evc

Indlæg af evc » 29.10.2016 08:20:27

In your situation I would say the best way to be with him would be thorough studies. If you can afford to pay, go for it! By the way, scholarship is only given after you have been accepted and payed at least one semester in most universities. You won't get a scholarship otherwise. Unless it is through another program, such as PhD students, which doesn't seem to be your case. Moving to Sweden is another good idea, since their family reunification rules are different.

prisma

Indlæg af prisma » 29.10.2016 18:29:08

evc skrev:In your situation I would say the best way to be with him would be thorough studies. If you can afford to pay, go for it! By the way, scholarship is only given after you have been accepted and payed at least one semester in most universities. You won't get a scholarship otherwise. Unless it is through another program, such as PhD students, which doesn't seem to be your case. Moving to Sweden is another good idea, since their family reunification rules are different.
These are good news! I thought it wasn't possible at this point! But paying a semester is fair enough. This means it's possible. Thanks for this useful information.

Sweden is one of the options too. I've been told that getting the Family Reunification visa is easier there. We need to think of all our options.

mh1
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet/Tyskland
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh1 » 29.10.2016 22:04:04

This is the official site with info on how to get visa - this links to student visa, but as you can see also gives access to other info:

https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_ ... tudies.htm

Studying in DK as a non-EU-citizen is expensive, and it is (of course) not enough to pay just the first semester fee: http://studyindenmark.dk/study-options/ ... holarships

You will not qualify for SU, the Danish scholarship, but there may be other options - any chance you can get into an exchange programme?
Is Venezuela a developing country? http://www.scholars4dev.com/3771/danish ... -students/
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

prisma

Indlæg af prisma » 29.10.2016 22:38:20

mh skrev:This is the official site with info on how to get visa - this links to student visa, but as you can see also gives access to other info:

https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_ ... tudies.htm

Studying in DK as a non-EU-citizen is expensive, and it is (of course) not enough to pay just the first semester fee: http://studyindenmark.dk/study-options/ ... holarships

You will not qualify for SU, the Danish scholarship, but there may be other options - any chance you can get into an exchange programme?
Is Venezuela a developing country? http://www.scholars4dev.com/3771/danish ... -students/
Thanks for the links! Yes, Venezuela is a developing country, but I don't think I can get into an exchange programme, since I already got my Bachelor's degree last year (July 2015). What about a Master's programme? Is there a way that I can pay less for the tuition fee/semester?

Extra info: I'm in the process of getting a refugee status in Colombia (it's not 100% safe to assume I will get it). Does it change anything?

prisma

Indlæg af prisma » 29.10.2016 22:46:58

What about the Erasmus Mundus programmes, though? They offer scholarships for Master's programmes.

mh1
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet/Tyskland
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh1 » 30.10.2016 18:46:06

Exchange programmes can be to Master's and phd as well. Do look into Erasmus, and just about anything else that comes to mind. Sometimes you can stumble on just the right thing while looking for something else :wink:
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

prisma

Indlæg af prisma » 30.10.2016 19:01:49

mh skrev:Exchange programmes can be to Master's and phd as well. Do look into Erasmus, and just about anything else that comes to mind. Sometimes you can stumble on just the right thing while looking for something else :wink:
I was reading about Erasmus for Master's programmes and apparently it's prefectly possible for me. I got good grades in college and I even had a scholarship back in the day. I think it's a good idea to contact them.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I will research more. Talking with you guys is helping me to explore all my possibilities.

Besvar