Moving from Denmark to Sweden

This forum is dedicated to all our English-speaking members.
Please feel free to ask your questions here!
Besvar
Doubt

Moving from Denmark to Sweden

Indlæg af Doubt » 10.09.2013 11:14:14

Hello everyone,

It has come to my attention that this site is the place to go, if you’re held back by the Danish immigration laws. Hopefully someone here will be able to help us.

Our current situation is as follows:

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting the most gorgeous Filipina, and we do not qualify to live in Denmark, as I’m currently a student and receive ’kontanthjælp’

She is presently living in Norway, where she works as an au pair.

Our plan is:

We are moving to Sweden, so that we’ll be able to stay together.

I have applied for a lot of apartments in Landskrona and Malmø, as I’m starting university in Copenhagen in august of next year.

I’m moving there, and she then applies for residence with me.

We’ve looked over the rules, but there is still some confusion, and that’s why I’m making this post. Hopefully someone will be able to answer a few questions for us, as we only have until January, until her Visa expires, so time is running short.

A few questions:

How long does it usually take for Migrationsverkets to process an application regarding moving to someone already living in Sweden?

Will she be able to come live with me while the application is being processed, or do we have to be apart the entire time?

Is it possible to apply before I’m living there, or do we have to slave through the whole bureaucracy, which after reading up on it, seems like a very time inefficient way to accomplish a rather simple task.

I’d love if I could somehow convince them to be a little flexible and maybe move there together, if possible.

How long does it usually take before you qualify for socialbidrag, as it might be needed in the beginning, until we get everything settled?

Is there any other kinds of requirements besides living in Sweden, in order for my girlfriend to apply for residence with me?

If anyone has been in a similar situation, or for other reasons have any advice about what we could, or should do, it would be more than appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

fundiver199

Re: Moving from Denmark to Sweden

Indlæg af fundiver199 » 10.09.2013 11:56:56

What is your own nationality? This is rather important for the available options.

Doubt

Indlæg af Doubt » 10.09.2013 19:42:36

Ah, I'm Danish :)

skaanebo

Indlæg af skaanebo » 10.09.2013 21:40:29

How long does it usually take for Migrationsverkets to process an application regarding moving to someone already living in Sweden?

ANSWER: currently 9 months if you apply through the Swedish rules and not EU rules.

Will she be able to come live with me while the application is being processed, or do we have to be apart the entire time?

ANSWER: If you apply through Swedish rules you will have to live apart until the residence permit has been granted. If you fulfil the requirements to apply through EU rules instead, she can enter Sweden and remain.

Is it possible to apply before I’m living there, or do we have to slave through the whole bureaucracy, which after reading up on it, seems like a very time inefficient way to accomplish a rather simple task.

ANSWER: Only if you're a Swedish citizen living abroad or maybe if you have lived in Sweden previously and therefore have a Swedish personal number already.

I’d love if I could somehow convince them to be a little flexible and maybe move there together, if possible.

ANSWER: Swedish bureaucracy is not exactly known to be flexible! You can't talk your way around things as you might get away with in Denmark. Everything in Sweden is very strict by the book. Government employees are not asked to use common sense and think for themselves, they are asked to follow the law. And so that's their priority.

How long does it usually take before you qualify for socialbidrag, as it might be needed in the beginning, until we get everything settled?

ANSWER: If social welfare is a consideration that means you can't use EU rules at all and can only apply through Swedish rules. Social welfare is given on a need basis so it's impossible to tell exactly what is required. It's not something you should plan on living on for sure, as it's simply the last way out in case everything else fails economically speaking.

Is there any other kinds of requirements besides living in Sweden, in order for my girlfriend to apply for residence with me?

ANSWER: If you wish to apply through EU rules you have to be either married or prove that you have been cohabiting previously for at least 18 months. Otherwise, if you apply through Swedish rules, the requirements are quite simple: You have to have met in real life, you have to say you fell in love on your own free will, and you have to say you intend to be living together in Sweden to start a life there together.

fundiver199

Indlæg af fundiver199 » 11.09.2013 05:00:27

If you are Danish, I suppose you speake Danish as well. In that case I suggest, that you read under "rådgivning", "flytte til Sverige/EU-land" and "flytte tilbage til Danmark". There everything (almost) is described about the "EU-solution". You can also find a lot of relevant information in sticky threads in forum "ophold efter EU-regler" and "familiesammenføring i andre lande".

Another option to consider is moving to Norway, since your girlfriend is there already, Norway is a EØS-country, and it is fairly easy for a Danish citizen to find work in Norway.

mh1
Geografisk sted: Istanbul, Tyrkiet/Tyskland
Kontakt:

Indlæg af mh1 » 11.09.2013 08:11:27

"I’m currently a student and receive ’kontanthjælp’" - I'm curious about that, I did not think it was possible to study and receive kontanthjælp at the same time.

In Sweden it is also doubtful whether you will be given 'forsörjingsstöd' while studying - depending on the nature of your studies and how far into them you are. Your wife may qualify, though, but first and foremost you both should do everything possible to earn your own living.
mh
Rådgiver for ÆUG

skaanebo

Indlæg af skaanebo » 11.09.2013 08:20:02

mh, I think Doubt isn't a student right now but he intends to begin studying in August next year.

And no, as a student he will not qualify for any kind of social welfare, only his partner might obtain help in case he can't provide for her and she has obtained a residence permit given after the national Swedish laws.

Doubt

Indlæg af Doubt » 12.09.2013 18:37:48

First of all, thanks for all the replies, it really helps a lot.
mh skrev:"I’m currently a student and receive ’kontanthjælp’" - I'm curious about that, I did not think it was possible to study and receive kontanthjælp at the same time.
The reasoning I'm getting kontanthjælp is that I don't have enough SU clips left, to finish a university degree. I basically convinced my advisor it was a good idea, it wasn't something they came up with. Was intended to receive 'revalidering' from next year.

Besvar